Sunday, October 24, 2010

Of Vienna Coffee and Cakes.....The World Famous Wien Sacher Torte

Dearies,

I was in Vienna or Wien (in German language) in August this year. It was a short weekend trip and we only had time to browse around the city. It was a rainy weekend and the all the shops were closed on Sunday, just like in many parts of Europe such as Germany. What a waste! But the good thing most of the cafes and restaurants were open.

I was intrigued by the many cafes serving delectable looking cakes, most looking just too good to eat and served with cappucino, hot chocolate or Vienna coffee.


Rows and rows of cupcakes




My All time Favourite Macaroons!


Choc Balls!
(Not all halal)


Sweet!


Hers


His


Introducing the World famous Original Sacher Torte
from the Hotel Sacher, Vienna


Lotsa cream at the side as the chocolate layers are dense and quite dry
with apricot jam in between the layers
served with Vienna coffee



To this very day, the recipe is a tightly kept secret. Not to be a wet blacket but my verdict, the chocolate cake was not sweet or that chocolatey enough though it looks like it is and the apricot jam taste kinda like plum to me, so choc n plum, nah, the sponge was dry..........Sorry to millions of fans out there, this is just My opinion. Yeah they do have a lot of fans! The restaurant was so packed! Mostly people buying it as a souvenir to bring home and some even buying the cups, cutleries and stuff.

For me I'm just happy sitting at the cafe al fresco and just enjoying my coffee and cake in peace and people watch, Oh while discussing about the current WOrld affairs ;)

Tata for now~~~ More on my travel adventure coming up.

Bis dann tschuss! :))



2 comments:

  1. The cakes sure looks super good. I do agree that europe has the best range of patisserie and cakes. Not forgetting to mention the best looking too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A reader commented that, the Best sacher torte can be found in Budapest on Vorosmarty Square, at Cafe Gerbeaud. A historical cafe and an institution for cakes apparently and sitting in the cafe is an experience in itself. Well if u happen to be there, dont miss it!

    AS for me, well I can always give this torte a 2nd chance! :P

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...